Why did you join this subreddit?

We have all joined this subreddit group from various countries around the world, and we've all come here for our own reasons. I thought it might be helpful in terms of us understanding each other a little bit more, to share what motivated us to join the group. So, what made you decide to join this subreddit? PS have a great day :)


#I joined this sub-reddit because I really struggled after leaving scj, and I want to be there to help others who may be going through the same thing.

After leaving the bbs, I had become really paranoid, and struggled spiritually/mentally. Under the advise of a Priest I talked to a counselor, I also tried to speak to a few friends about it but no one could really connect w/ me or understand what I went through. It was actually watching Stella's vids and reaching out to her which really helped me, esp w/ healing.

Im really really grateful that there is a space now where people who may be struggling after leaving scj can go to, so they don't have to suffer alone like i did. Thats basically just why I'm here, to support those who may be suffering, or just to be here for someone to talk to about it.


#I joined because I wanted to share my testimony to others and because I found support here when I had no one I could turn to to talk about and consider my doubts without being told I "need to be sealed more".

It's interesting. We were always told not to look up SCJ and we were told that all the negative info on SCJ would sway our opinion of SCJ. Honestly, when I first read testimonies and watched the few in English available on YouTube--I didn't believe the testimonies. I honestly thought "these people don't really know what SCJ is". It wasn't until I experienced and witnessed firsthand SCJ practices and doctrine that were not good that I really began to question and slowly detach from SCJ. The first times I saw lying and arrogance I let it slide. I thought maybe I just didn't understand--and I was told this. Then I tried to think maybe it's just a few people in SCJ who do this... soon I realized it wasn't and that SCJ operates like this. I remember after having 2 not so good experiences with recruitment, I was asked to help recruit in a largely Spanish speaking area. I felt a bit awkward and at first I wasn't going to do it. Later on, I decided that going to recruit will help me feel better about SCJ and I decided I would do it. A couple days later is when I realized that lying is part of SCJ with the PCFs and that they expected me to do the same if I ever recruited. This was kinda the last straw for me... although I still attended services and Newcomers educations.l for a while... I could no longer brush anything off as "just one incident" as I did before.

I'm still on this subreddit because I do like sharing my thoughts (for whatever they're worth!). I hope they can help others see our pov and I hope to let others know that they are not alone in questioning SCJ. That this is a space where they can do that without just being blown off or told that anything they say not in favor of SCJ is wrong or unfounded.

When I officially left SCJ I felt so distraught and I seriously considered just leaving faith altogether. This community provided the encouragement I needed to not leave faith and to hold onto God.


#

  1. I can hear ex-members' true testimonies, instead of blindly label them as "betrayers"

  2. I could hear current news about SCJ in South Korea which is inaccessible or heavily filtered inside the church.

  3. I learnt about their changing doctrine over times through old members.

  4. I am able to gain insight into different doctrines taught by different tribes.

  5. Recognising that I am not the only one who question SCJ's "unethical" practice and inconsistent teachings.

  6. Community support and brain trust on healing from mind control.

  7. Honest about myself and my faith.


#I’ve been a member for quite a while now (edit: miscalculated, its been 9 years+). Christian background, participated in many Christian org.s and bible studies pre-scj. I was captured by the first few explanations on scj’s parables—I liked receiving logical clarity. Few moments I was made fun of infront of the class, as an example, by the lecturers about my physical appearance. (Which is a moral teaching that you should not judge a person by appearance). But I took it in because their teachings sounded logical, clear, and true, and I have a stretched bowl to take hits like that. And i know some people can be condescending—without knowing it. I just gave everything a try and have been open minded about a lot of things.

everything changes after few months after Passover. I was surprised by the trainings and every duty/responsibility I had to take once I became a member (passed over)—I’ve never had to do many errands for someone in my life. I thought it was for God but it was for the leaders to look good infront of their leaders. A few things that I found weird were how the services were (reminds me of North Korean a lot), told us we can’t look up what others say about scj (not allowed to discern for ourselves), every event was staged (called as a victory from God). Came across leaders who were hypocrites, liars, rude and *condescending, a few older members still doing pyramid scheme businesses after being told not to, borrowing money from members (even though scj forbids it), hurting people by saying they’re nothing and guilt-tripping them to do many things, etc. I can go on forever about how I see their “discipline” is manipulation and the red flags of how they treat people. Totally different discipline that the Bible shows. I see that the group leaders do not actually know what’s going on with MHL, 7 educators, 12 tribe leaders, elders etc in korea who strategize many things. They’re just obedient and don’t question things because they have a position in church (ive been in this position of being a person of duty). And evangelism—very strategized methods by group leaders and not relying on the Holy Spirit. Very clandestine and hurts many new students when they find out. I feel bad for the members who are manipulated to lie and the new students who received deception/manipulation. I received hurt but this is not the reason why I don’t like scj or decided to leave. (They manipulate members to think its good to receive these kinds of harsh treatment because the Bible mentions discipline and training).

I came out recently, was part of one of the overseas church. Not because I received hurt from scj but because theyre teaching false things about Gods will/Bible and is spiritually killing believers with their lies. They also keep changing their teachings once in a while to benefit their current situation. They call their own god Shincheonji God in their service and prayers. God is God, Lord, Father—that’s what the Bible and prophets recorded.

Even if they were nice, lovely, and easygoing, I wouldn’t stay if the doctrines were false. I found this subreddit and was surprised by all the info about why scj teachings are wrong and many others who faced similar things as I have. I’m here to get more updates on the current situation of scj and to help anyone who needs help. And lastly, to share with the people this subreddit so they can share their experience and learn why scj teachings are wrong or practices are deceptive (I repented, shared this and many other videos on scj to the people I’ve been working on to guide to scj). We all have the right to hear both sides of the story and discern for ourselves, don’t be biased about things.

However, I’ve met very few amazing people in scj—they’re not leaders for sure and they’re fairly new to scj. I still maintain a good relationship with them and try to help with other things as I possibly can like making them laugh or be someone they can talk to anytime—that’s part of who I want to be as a Christian: to love and help those who are weak.

And for people who don’t know the reasons why one can be banned/muted from this subreddit:

  1. commenting things that were condescending,undermining, and rude to these members who were talking about their experiences.

  2. Going against rules of this subreddit. (Not understanding the purpose of this subreddit) At least that’s what I saw happened.

  3. Completely ignoring everything about being respectful and digressing. (Goes back to subreddit rules) and twisting people’s words in this subreddit.

It’s not the moderators fault that one doesn’t understand the rules to this subreddit and they chose to stay and comment rude things, therefore got kicked out. The moderators have been fair with everyone’s opinions and actually let a lot of things go by—unless it’s really bad. Has nothing to do with your beliefs or opinions, the topic is scj (goes back to subreddit rules).

***please don’t undermine/mock my testimony. If you don’t believe it or it makes you upset—that’s fine just don’t comment because I’m not going to accept disrespect anymore. going against my experience will not solve your issues. feel free to respond/reply if you want to know more about specific things that scj did/does or anything related to it. Love you all and peace.


#Perhaps i should start. I was part of the intermediate class in 2018. While it is convincing, I found some of the teaching is strange, especially on view of revelation and covenant. I end up spending hours late night to listen to various video and channel. At the end I just can’t stand their “work for salvation”. I dont even know they are scj but i quit anyway.

Then I come across this testimony at r/christianity that resonate a lot on my experiences, and i made few post. Someone from my class pm me, unknowing we were in the same class (God’s work in mysterious way). That end up to more research of scj and knowing they are scj, followed by couple of physical meet up, and realising i have been lied to (i still assume my maintainer is genuine newbie when i quit)

From there i am thinking that awareness need to be raised. Not a good feeling to have been lied to. We need a platform that people can share their testimony comfortably. Hence this sub was created. It is rewarding to be able to help others realise and comfort them by saying “you are not alone”.


#Let me be the first: I have a close relative who is deeply involved and is throwing his/her (keeping them anonymous) life away. And I came here looking for answers, looking to understand the false doctrines of this cult that seems to be “successfully” derailing a lot of vulnerable, young people. I came in search of ways to best approach him/her: what to do/say, what not to say/do - giving that the communication lines are still open. Looking for tell-tale signs that would indicate he/she may be having doubts. And how to help when he/she gets out, as we are praying and believing the Lord will make it happen sooner than later. What I have learned here so far has been quite enlightening and shocking at the same time: to see how deceptive and manipulative they are and how damage they are causing. As I read the testimonials and posts, I am sometimes discouraged, but at the same time spurred to pray for him/her and others involved.


https://www.reddit.com/r/Shincheonji/comments/iiif2j/why_did_you_join_this_subreddit/