Sydney, Aus - Shincheonji

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shincheonji/comments/gdpoel/shincheonji_in_sydney/

Created: May, 2020

Region: Sydney, Austrailia

Tribe: Peter Tribe
Recruited Place: at the University Campus (Macquarie University)
Recruited Year: 2016
Recruited Method: by being interested in a poster that stated "Campus Bible Studies"
Term: Several months
Graduation: No
How did he escape from SCJ? by himself
How did he realize it is SCJ? Someone sent a message that they are SCJ.
Last position before leaving: a student

I've been keeping a close eye on SCJ posts since my experience with them (but for me, it was when they were really new to Sydney in 2016!).

I was a uni student back then and I saw posters in Macquarie University that stated "Campus Bible Studies" so I thought I'd give it a go because I'm Christian and I wanted to join a university affiliated group and go to as part of uni ministry and keeping me accountable. Reason being was I missed Orientation Week so I didn't sign up for the other ones that others did such as SOW, EU etc

They texted me the date and when they'd meet (which was actually in a tutorial room on campus!) so I didn't feel like any red flags were raised...coming to think of it now, they must've used the rooms illegally.

To my surprise (and like the many other stories here), I was greeted by a man named James (who is the original and first missionary that led and started the Australian SCJ groups) and a girl named Alex and a guy named Brad. I brought along a friend (who's Korean) because I wasn't comfortable in meeting new people and honestly he was under the impression that it'll be just a Bible Study.

We ended up doing a simple Bible Study (that was theologically accurate) which I think was smart as my friend and I have both been going to church for all our lives. Then he asked if I wanted to join this university "fellowship" so I agreed. I didn't really think much of it and then moving forward, I would meet up with James and we'd do bible study lessons with this other girl called Sunny.

I didn't mind the bible lessons as up until this point, they were all theologically sound and no red flags. However, I was annoyed at my buddy "Sunny" who seemed honestly really fake and just wanting to establish rapport by "omg you're so pretty" every time we met.

After 6 weeks of these bible studies (which occurred once a week), James asked if I wanted to meet other people doing the same course. I guess my situation was a bit different, because as James was the lead missionary of all of Australia - he was very mature and honestly, he wasn't manipulative or annoying like the other posts I read. I said yes and it turned out to be in a building in Town Hall (opposite Vapianos).

There, I met ALL THE OTHER FOUNDING LEADERS OF THE SCJ AUSTRALIA CULT. I'm not even kidding. Because of the time (2016), I went to class with all the branch leaders (which would later go and run Melbourne, Brisbane, GC classes) and the ones that were personally discipled by James. Not that this is an excuse, but this was one of the main reasons why it took me so long to see red flags because they were all very, very "mature" "Christians" that have been trained for so long in this game that they didn't throw any red flag teachings at me.

I guess one thing unlike the other posts, because I was dealing with the main missionary, he really did put a lot of effort into training me. He actually gave a crap about who I was, wanted to learn about me, my "talents" and kept saying how I had great potential to lead a class - when I think about it now, being a cult branch leader is NOT a dream. Haha.

He particularly paid a lot of attention to me, despite the other "non recruits" in the class and honestly I think it's because I was down-to-earth, I wasn't there for other reasons aside from learning the Bible and I was a "mature" Christian.

He even allowed me to serve (despite not being a SCJ member and in the community) by leading worship and inviting friends despite me not knowing the real group. This special treatment, at that time, made me feel like this was God's plan and that I was in the right place.

How I found out about the cult was when one of the members in SCJ had their phone hacked and the hacker sent me information about how this bible study group is SCJ and a cult - which led me to discern personally and I researched a lot online. When everything clicked - I realised what I had gotten myself into and I knew I had to get my friends out too.

So luckily my friends listened and we all left - I even sent a long text to James and thanked him for his time but I wasn't interested and I don't believe in this. I expressed my disappoint in him for lying to me (he always said that they weren't affiliated with a denomination because he wanted to evangelise to all) but obviously that's a lie because they are affiliated with SCJ...

He actually took it very well with wisdom and maturity and suggested that if I ever changed my mind, I have his number and he'll be willing to spend more time with me and answer questions. I said thank you but no thanks.

In summary, I think my experience is a bit different as I dealt with all the founding Australian missionaries so the degree of manipulation/etc wasn't too extreme because I wasn't dealing with the ones that were actually pressured to grow the group. It taught me a lot about discerning the Bible more and definitely being more aware of how the enemy can use "Christians" who know the "bible" a lot and how they can really lead people astray.

I never spoke up about it or wrote about it back then, because I didn't really think that they'd multiply so fast and train up so many people like the ones that I read in this forum that were so unreasonable and clingy...

Comments